Friday, August 19, 2011

The Road in Movies

Since I had already read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, our book club choice for this month, I thought instead of re-reading I would check out the movie which came out in 2009. It was very well done and I would recommend it to any of you who liked the book. It depicts the storyline of the book extremely well and adds some captivating visuals to it all--some frightening, some beautiful.

The only area in which it strays from the book only adds to the story - it opens with a bit more of an explanation of the main character's wife--someone he references often in the book and yet we never quite get the full story.

I also loved the rhythm and voice of the film, much like the book. Viggo Mortenson's calm, steady voice narrating the film almost makes you feel like all that tragedy would truly be okay.



So, bookies, tonight will tell how many of us give this book a thumbs up, but if you found it a good read then definitely pick up the movie soon!

3 comments:

  1. I like how the anchor says "bar-BARE-ism." Bet she doesn't read real books very often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha...so I actually didn't even watch that before I posted it, I just grabbed the first one from youtube so I didn't even realize it had that lady talking about it! I had to change it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and Ali I see what you mean about the tornadoes...I don't know if I blanked out on that in the actual movie or what...I may need to watch it again already!

    ReplyDelete