Thursday, October 7, 2010

In the Interim

Well you may have noticed that we had a bit of a gap over the last month or so. Our book club attempted to read a 600+ page classic, The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James.  This choice resulted in a record-breaking month for our bookies - not a single member finished the book. :) First time that has ever happened.

I was happy to lead the way by only reading 50 pages. After suffering that, I spent the interim delving into the following literature instead:

  1. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. I've been wanting to read this ever since our book club read Lahiri's latest book, Unaccustomed Earth, which I loved. 'Interpreter' was just as fantastic, with a greater diversity of short stories and yet all still centered around the Indian experience, and primarily the Indian immigrant experience.  Each story was heartbreaking and tragic with varying degrees of severity, up until the final piece which left me with a sense of hope and a carpe-diem-type positivity.  I love Lahiri's writing and would definitely recommend this book.
  2. The latest issues of some of my favorite magazines, including Vogue, Elle, and The Economist (you gotta keep it balanced, you know). I learned from the previous two that fur is in this Fall, camel is the color of the year, and that I should probably incorporate more belts into my wardrobe. I learned from the latter that Southern Sudan's upcoming election isn't looking good, and that the world's forests are quickly degrading, both much to my dismay. 
  3. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, thanks to Hannah who gave me this book while I was visiting her on a recent trip to California. I'm only a few chapters in but can already tell it should be a good and worthy read.  I should finish it just in time to pick up Franny & Zooey (see previous post) before our next book club meeting. 
Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment