Thursday, October 7, 2010

books and food, food and books

To me, book club = laughter, wine, good food, friends, and book discussion. What I found most interesting about last book club is that we spent more time discussing books we had read but not for book club, than the book-of-the-month, Portrait of a Lady. I don't have much to say about the book; since I didn't finish it. It was long and slow, and I had a busy month. My goal to read 20 pages a night only last 2 days. So this month's contribution to the blog are the recipes I brought to eat:

Pumpkin Dip:
-Blend together 8 oz cream cheese (softened) and 2 c powdered sugar
-Stir in15 0z pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling), 1 Tbl ground cinnamon, and 1 Tbl pumpkin pie spice. You can substitute the pumpkin pie spice with: 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 3/4 tsp ginger, 3/4 tsp allspice, which is usually what I do, because I don't have pumpkin pie spice.

Ginger Sparkles (cookies)
mix together: 2 c flour, 1 Tbl ginger, 2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt
cream together: 3/4 c butter, 1 c sugar, 1 egg, 1/4 c molasses
Combine flour mixture with the butter/sugar mixture. Roll into 1 in. diameter balls and roll in sugar. Bake at 35o for 5-8 min or until cookie crackles on top and flattens slightly. Once cooled, dip into pumpkin dip.

It's fall; enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. oh man, how can you not love something called "ginger sparkles?"

    you've reminded me that I still need to post the quiche recipe. I'll do it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete